If you are currently developing apps for your company, you may be wondering what are the differences between web apps and desktop apps. Allow us to explain the differences and benefits of each type of software to help you determine which is the right app for your business.
A web app
A web app, or website application, is a computer program that a client can access and use in a web browser. For example, many online retail companies operate through a web app as they can be easily used by any customer with an internet connection.
A desktop app
A desktop app must be downloaded by each individual user, once downloaded a desktop application does often not need an internet connection to work. For example, programmes such as Word and Excel are considered desktop applications.
Benefits of web app development
- Web applications do not need to be downloaded or installed and, therefore, can be used whenever a customer desires.
- Web applications, even if they are used by customers from around the world, have a common code base and so can be updated centrally by the app owner. This allows businesses to update their web app with new products and information whenever they desire.
- Web apps do not need to be sold or stored in App Stores so they can be launched quickly and easily.
Benefits of desktop app development
- Desktop applications often do not require an internet connection so the performance of the website is not limited by the bandwidth of a user’s internet service.
- Desktop apps can only be used on a user’s desktop, which allows a desktop app development company to use large graphics and images as they can be assured their app will only need to be optimised for desktop screens.
Potential limitations of web apps
Website apps require an internet connection to work which may be frustrating for users who are travelling or do not have a reliable internet connection. Web apps may also be accessed from a desktop or mobile device, meaning they must be optimised for screens and devices of all sizes.
Potential limitations of desktop apps
Updates to a desktop app will need to be completed by each individual user, which can be frustrating for some users and some customers may avoid updating the app entirely which will cause them to use an application that may be outdated or glitching.
Which app is right for your business?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to which application is right for you. Consider what the purpose of your app will be and which format will appeal to your customers. For more information about desktop and web app development, contact vLinkD today. We are IT and operations experts who can help provide technical solutions to your business. For a free consultation or more information about working with us, do not hesitate to contact us today.